Friday, September 17, 2010

Katie from Haiti

Well, there's no better way to get back to blogging than to just get back to blogging.
Miss me?
I hope so.

My site meter stats have dropped way down so I'm guessing I've lost readers (understandably), but I hope that once I start commenting on YOUR blog, you'll come back to mine. Deal?


Remember back with me if you will, when Katie came home 26 months ago. She was one week shy of turning four years old. It was really fun having the girls home for only one week and getting to celebrate a birthday!



Little lovey spoke zippity zilch English. Nuthin. She spoke Creole in a cute little three year old way. Imagine your three year old child and the English that he knows...cute, right? Yeah, that's what she spoke around here only in a language I didn't understand.



Conversely, her new family spoke a language SHE didn't understand. Learning how to communicate, teaching a new language, building love and trust were the primary things we focused on right off the bat. We called her by her given name, Quetelene, and continue to call her that from time to time. It's just so beautiful and it's the name we kept on her American adoption documents.

These first two years have been an adventure and (as cliche as this sounds) a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings. Believe it or not (adoption peeps, I know you believe it) we're still getting used to things around here. Two years really isn't that long. Then again, it's amazing how much wonderfulness has been brought to our lives in only two years. But, I digress and get back to the cute little thing you see before you.




Here is a video of her reading. That's right, folks, I said READING. Not only has this bright little child learned a second language, she has learned how to read. I'm so honored to have been chosen to be her mom and her teacher. Her love language is TOUCH so we spend a lot of time cheek to cheek. I feel like a Koala Mom when I read books to all three girls on the floor, for Katie is always on my back. I love it.



I'm wondering if she has dyslexia. It could be age and just the learning process of reading, so I'm not going to worry too much about it right now. But I'm for sure going to keep my eye on it. She tends to read words in reverse order after the 4th or 5th word in a sentence. Or she'll interchange letters in a word she's already read. But like I said, that could be all part of the learning process.



Ok, prepare yourself for extreme cuteness, here's Katie, age 6, reading a book she read for the first time today.

(She has the first page memorized because that's pretty much all we've been doing today. But trust me, at 10:00 this morning, she'd never even SEEN this book.)



The video is 2:27 seconds.

Have patience and appreciate her mind working when she gets stuck on "number 3".





9 comments:

Tamara said...

Great job reading Katie! You're doing a great job teaching them Julie! I love your blog and I love your family! :) You guys are amazing.

Corey said...

Julie, I can't tell from just one photo, but does Katie have strabismus? In today's photo, her right eye looks to be drifting outward, but it could be the angle of the photo. I ask because one of my daughters had strabismus, and strabismus can cause tracking problems when a child is reading. She is really doing a fantastic job for a 6 year old though; much stronger reader than my son, who is also 6. Even more importantly, you can see that she really warms to your praise; she just LOVES when you tell her she is doing a good job!

Kismet said...

One. One.
One little dear.
She's reading wonderfully so have no fear.

Great job Katie and Mama!

~K!

Angie said...

You didn't lose this reader! :) I've missed you!

Katie is doing such a great job reading! I love her sweet voice and the inflection she uses while she reads. And you are SO encouraging to her. What a gentle, patient mama!

ajnrileysmommy said...

love love love your family picture!! so beautiful :)

Blessed Mama of 6 said...

yeah! Katie! She is doing SO wonderfully!

PS - Noah does the same with his reading, switching order, occasionally... seems that its affected by the time of day and other factors. I'm not convinced its as much dyslexia as a focus issue...imo

Jenny said...

I LOVE that wink!

christa jean said...

Sweetest Quetelene! She's grown in leaps and bounds!

yh said...

tee-shirts louis vuitton
louis vuitton pas cher
chaussures nike
chaussures puma
sac fendi
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton
sac chloe
sac dior
sac louis vuitton
sac gucci
sac burberry
portefeuille burberry
portefeuille dolce gabbana
portefeuille louis vuitton
lunettes de soleil burberry
lunettes de soleil louis vuitton
lunettes de soleil oakley
tee shirts louis vuitton femmes
tee shirts burberry femmes
tee shirts polo hommes
parfum chanel hommes
parfum gucci femmes