Sunday, March 21, 2010

Disturbing

We went to Barnes & Noble this afternoon.
We frequent the library, but sometimes there's just no beatin' a bookstore shelved with fresh, un-cracked spines.

Anyway, I was lookin' around and just one divider away from the children's books, and directly on the main walk-way, and on the tables in the middle of the walkway, (read: right there in plain sight) I noticed the books were a little scary looking. I glanced at the section title and was surprised to see I was in the TEEN section.

I jotted down a few notes.
These are either titles of books, the picture on the cover, or a subtitle description:

a skull
a bloody dagger
Ever Lost
The Naughty List
Betrayal
vampires
demons

sexy
deadly secrets
Impossible
Dead
Uglies
the devil
horror


And this was just ONE bookshelf of several in the TEEN section. I was too depressed to continue browsing that area and felt I had enough substantial evidence to prove that there's a generation of teen readers being bombarded by unhealthy literature.

Is this what my girls have to look forward to for entertainment reading in a few years?
Sad.
I will not allow my children to immerse themselves in these kinds of books when they hit their teen years. And prayerfully, I strive to raise them in such a way that they will trust my discernment and not even desire these books or feel the need to sneak them when I'm not around. Lord, please help me!

Remember:

Philippians 4:8-9
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.


This post is not to sound pious, rather just an expression of sadness at today's options for kids.

These are hot off the press books I was looking at. These are the recognized authors being praised for powerful literature for fresh, young minds. I bet they are well written and can hold the attention of just about every teen out there today. But look at the content! Is sexy, deadly, demonic type stuff what we want our kids fantasizing about "FOR FUN"? It's bad enough that we adults get sucked into this material...now our kids have it. It was just one divider away from the little kids.

Of course, I was at B&N, not a Christian bookstore, and I was in the general TEEN section, not the Religious section. So yes, I know there are healthier options out there. But I have to go looking for them. They're not on the main walk-way, not on the front tables. And that, my friends, is the sad part. And quite frankly, a little disturbing.

11 comments:

Cathy said...

Totally agree. What happened to Little Women and books like that??

stephanie garcia said...

Oh, how I agree and feel the sad sadness.

Anonymous said...

"Lord, while you are at it, please do that for us too."

Jules, I've seen what you are talking about. So sad.

Angela

Amanda Perko said...

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm so sad about the trash that's out there. However, we're building our own fun library here and yet, the library is the best.

I blogged about this not too long ago too. The world is just the world, and we get to teach our little ones to be in, but not of it.

Love your new pic up top. ;)

Anonymous said...

Scary! I sometimes think the things in little kids books are too scary or bring up ideas that haven't even entered their little minds yet...I am so glad that I'm not in the teenage stage!

Kimber

Anonymous said...

What? Censorship?

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

Not censorship, at all... booh on the authors, publishers and stores that are marketing to the degradation of our children. Feel free to write, publish and sell those as much as you want, please, just don't target kids.

Like you - ab Fab - I position myself in a more conservative opinion, so when I see these things, it really shocks me. I found a book at the library in the Juvenile fiction and selected it to read with my 8 year old son. This book was part of a series, written for young boys, and would be considered historical fiction, as the main character interacts with Abner Doubleday, during the civil war. Second page, second paragraph, I find my 8 year old sounding out the word "c r a p". I suggested we take a break and, independently, I skim through the remainder of the book to find references to "you stupid jerk" "blockhead" and other various insults to others. I was bothered to see a book marketed to children include borderline foul language and encouraging unkind and violent behavior(none of which related at all to the Civil War). I don't wish to isolate my children with only fiction coming from Christian authors. I assumed that books for children would not violate their innocence. I presumed wrong.

sad, it is very sad.

Anonymous said...

If you can find them, a great series of stories for kids about 9 and up is "The Swallows and the Amazons" by Arthur Ransome.
I recently looked for books for a teen grandson and ended up getting classics from the past. MomB

Jenny said...

The world is going to get worse before it's conquered and destroyed by God. Our job is to keep renewing our minds in scripture. It's good to use those moments as a reminder to focus on what He wants to focus on.

Julie said...

Be careful even in the Christian bookstore. My 12yo loves to read and I even have to screen some books from there. They are so focused on peers, fashion, and boys. Maybe I just sound weird and overcritical, but those are not the values I want my young ladies to cultivate.
I have been looking at books at Vision Forum, Amblesideonline, and Simply Charlotte Mason. They seem to have good selections and alot of classics that might not be on my radar.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.