Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tragic Earthquake in Haiti

This is the Presidential Palace
Before and After

We don't have much more information that what is being reported on the news. I follow several blogs of those who already have or are going through an adoption. I also follow blogs of US Missionaries and Aid Relief workers, etc. I've been relying on those blogs for information on orphanages and hospitals that I can't find on the news.

My heart goes out to all you in the middle of the process- waiting, reading, praying, to find out if your children are alive. Lord, please be with them. All of them. Amen.

I've learned that all the HFC and NLL kids are OK! These are the kids my daughters lived with for 2 years at the orphanage. I'm sooooo thankful to learn all of them are accounted for.

Dr. Bernard, his wife and the staff at his house have also been accounted for, but the staff at his office smack dab in Port-au-Prince are still unaccounted for. The agent who helped us through the adoption process told me that Dr. Bernard, the 69 year old director of the orphanage, had to jump from a 2nd story window of the Mayor's office.

I wish I was with Anderson Cooper right now. CNN is doing a fabulous job of reporting. I'm saddened to see the death toll will likely reach 100,000. Bodies being pulled from rubble. Inmates escaping collapsed jail. Hospitals crumbling. Anguished voices from within the debris growing silent.

Please, I encourage you to join with my family in donating in anyway that you can to help a country that was already in desperation. I'm hoping that this tragedy could be the thing that finally turns Haiti around. May foreign governments come in and help rebuild a country that so desperately needs direction, honest officials, water, clean agriculture and prayer.

We will likely not be able to find out if the girls' biological father survived the earthquake.

8 comments:

Youthful One said...

Wow.




The kids and I have been praying.
They'll be delighted to hear (as I am) that the kids in the orphanage are okay. We'll keep praying.

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

Though I really don't know him - I think I may have seen a picture of Dr. Benard one time, I feel so relieved to hear that he and the children are OK for now. I watched a little of that CNN coverage this afternoon, during which there was another aftershock. I am praying that we as a nation will use this opportunity to not allow such injustice and poverty to continue. I imagine that your family must fell quite conflicted amidst all of this, but I have always admired your strength of faith to trust the Lord in these days, even when there is no sense to be made of it. Love you and we are praying too.

ajnrileysmommy said...

ooohhhh...i love how you have that verse under your comment box!
anyways...i just found your blog and have really enjoyed reading it! i have 2 boys, and my husband and i and our boys have been to haiti, where i asked God to tell me what i could ever do to be used to help. i am praying about adoption, and i have so enjoyed reading about your journey.
(i also have run marathons and half marathons, but haven't run in months!!) praying with you for haiti.

The G's said...

I have been thinking of your girls since I heard about the earthquake. Are they aware of what is going on?

Molly W. said...

Thanks for the post Julie. Praying.

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

There are a lot of places we could donate to, do you have any recommendations about the best/preferences?

พSทิวๅ จัuทร์บุตSสๅ said...

Dear me!
God bless them all.
I feel very bad about this news.

Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills