Monday, August 17, 2009

hair Hair HAIR

If you're friends with me on FaceBook, then most of these pictures will be re-runs.

I've been working with my girls' hair and have been getting increasingly better at it. I honestly pray over their heads and over my ability to give them pretty hair. Hey, I need all the help I can get! And it's super important to me that my ethnic children have pretty hair.

"Hair is the richest ornament of women." Martin Luther

Here is Yolanta's hair that I did one Sunday morning.
Cute, huh!?
















And here is Katie's hair all poofy and fluffy and adorable ready for church.
I just love it like this.


I can't do those gorgeous corn-rows, however.
My girlfriend Rachel went to a ballet recital or softball game or SOMETHING and there was a little brown cutie with adorable hair. My friend asked the mother (whom Rachey did not even know) if she did her daughter's hair and the lady said "No way! Weedor did it for me."
So Rach thought of me and my needs and got Weedor's information.
I called this mysteriously named lady and found she only lives about 5 miles from my house. Not being a confident driver, she asked if I could pick her up and bring her back to my house to do the hair session. Having laundry to fold, homeschooling so accomplish and a new book to read (The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf), I gladly went to get her instead of spending the day at HER house.


It's amazing how skilled these black women are at manipulating these teeny tiny curls into position. I'm always mystified and awe struck! I gawked on with my jaw open as she whipped out these perfectly straight parts and braided microspic sized portions of hair. I sometimes have a hard enough time trying to find the scalp let alone fashion the hair into a kazillion braids!
I made "hmph" sounds while Weedor giggled at my astonishment.
It's part of her culture. Part of her upbringing. It is for most black women all over the world.
I even remember photos of my girls in the orphanage and several pictures showed teens braiding kids' hair in the background.
Even my Yolanta and Katie knew how to braid when I went and visited them in Haiti back when they were only 3 and 5 year's old. I brought little dollies and hair ties and the first thing they did was rip out the store manufactured rubber-banded braids and re-braided them and put lots and lots of hair scrunchies and rubber-bands in their hair. They were practically born with the skill.


It took 3 hours for Yolie's hair to be braided.
It took 3 hours for Katie's hair to be braided.
It took 20 minutes for Amy's hair to be braided.
Yes, she was at my house all.day.long.





Weedor is from Liberia. I'm guessing she is about 35 years old. During a war that broke out, she, her husband and their 1 year old son took refuge in another country. Through connections they were able to get to the states. That was 15 years ago.
All their family still live in Liberia. There is still war there, too. She indicates it's very dangerous and very sad and she fears for her family.
She travels every year to visit her mother and siblings.
Weedor also sends the exact same amount of money every month for support.




This month she found herself $50 short.
She didn't know where she was going to come up with it even though she and her husband have well paying jobs. They now have 3 children and, like everyone during these hard times, find making ends meet harder and harder to do. Let alone be the major source of income for another family thousands of miles away.






She prayed.
God moved.
I called.








Hi, we don't know each other, but I was wondering if you could braid my daughter's hair for me. I'll pay you! :)







I just love how God works.
I had a little extra cash this month, she needed a little extra cash.
I wanted my girls' hair braided, she had the skills to make it happen.




















She is a really neat lady who's name and number I will keep. I see myself being friends with her as I really enjoyed her company. I didn't even read any of my book that day we chatted so much!
I'd also like to call her in the future when I'd like to do something fancy for my girls again. Who knows...maybe it will be at just the right time!
Amy's hair doesn't stay in braids nearly as long so we ended up taking them out just 6 days later. That's okay by me...I don't think she looks as cute with them in as her sisters do. ssshhhhh.










After seeing her hair like this, now she wants a PERM!
I guess I better get used to all this fuss over hair. They are girls, after all!




"And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered."
Matthew 10:30








8 comments:

acceptancewithjoy said...

I think Katie's hair looks great in the top photo. I think you are getting pretty good. If I remember right, you wrote once that you couldn't braid.

We had a hair day this Saturday. Marissa had just come out of the hospital. (She took a Tylenol overdose - pray. She was out of the house for almost 3 weeks and she didn't take care of her hair. She only spent one night in the medical hospital. The rest of the time she was on an adolescent psych unit.) Marissa is mixed race and has very soft curls. I don't usually braid her hair. But... I combed the snarls, braided and beaded her head.

Beverly ended up with 5 ponytails that I twisted and put beads at the end. My hands and fingers were cramped by the end of the day. I don't know how Weedor did three heads in one day. For me it is a one girl or the other...

Amanda said...

Very nice! So, how long do the girl's braids last? And how do you clean it? Or do you not have to?

I'm just curious (and obviously stupid!) LOL I keep wondering where I'll even take my boy for a proper cut. :~)

sarah said...

I have the most beautiful nieces in the world!!! :) Braided, straight or poofy hair... they are still beautiful! :)

elizabeth embracing life said...

What a beautiful story, and your girls look darling. I had my hair braided like that on a beach once (St Thomas). I could not believe how quickly this lovely lady did my hair and I kept it in for about five days. It kind of hurt because I was not use to such tight hair. What a grand meeting for you and for this lovely lady. Thanks for sharing this story. P.S months of practicing when Emily was a little girl and I can still braid a cornrow, just no little girls to practice on anymore.

Amanda P said...

Cutie girls (always) and wonderful story, of course. Thanks for sharing, bloggy-friend.

Molly W. said...

I love that you shared this story, Julie. I love how God works too, so cool.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful braids.

God is amazing. It's neat to see how He provides.

Rachey :)

The Everett Family said...

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like with only boys! Hair... it certainly takes time. I think your Sunday morning braids on Yolanta are super cute!