Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We would have been in it every single day.

A few years ago when Dad and I were training for the marathon, we would run by a neighborhood pool just a few blocks from my house.

There was never anyone in it.

Granted we started our runs at 7am, so really, who goes swimming in an outdoor pool in Portland at 7am? Even in the summer.


Though it is only a few blocks from my house, I rarely see it because it's tucked in a neighborhood that I don't drive through to get to my house.


I'm running again (have a half marathon this coming Saturday, in fact) and I remembered that pool. So I ran by it and sure enough, no one was in it! And this time it was in the middle of the day on a close to 80 degree day! There SHOULD HAVE BEEN PEOPLE IN IT.

For privacy, I'm going to make up street names here.

The pool is on Maple Dr.
I, too, live on Maple Dr, but on the other side of First St.

First street divides Maple. I'm on the North side, the pool is on the South side. But if I get on my roof, I bet I can see the pool. Or at least the very trees that hide the pool.




So today...a close to 90 degree day...on my way home from an errand, I drove over to the pool.
There was one guy giving swimming lessons to 2 little kids. That's it!

There were plenty of chairs lining the pool, some in the shade, some in the sun. The pool was smallish and only 5 feet deep. Perfect for my 3 little swimmers!

The swim instructor looked at me.
I said:
Hi, is this pool open to the neighborhood? I love on Maple st.
(Remember, the pool is also on Maple st.)
Yes it is, he replied, as long as you live in Shadow Hills. Then you'll be a part of the neighborhood association, pay your dues, they'll give you a key and you're welcome to swim!

Hm.
I stood there trying to look like a Shadow Hills neighborhood association member who has a key in her back pocket, and said: Ok.

He said: Otherwise, you have to be friends with someone in Shadow Hills.

I said "Hi, what's your name? Wanna be friends?"

He chuckled.
I left.




On my way out I noticed a phone number on the pump house.
I used my telegraphic memory (?) to remember the number and promptly dialed it as soon as I got in the car.

On the microspic drive home I called and left a detailed message about how I lived super duper close by the pool, even on the same street but on the other side of First. And if I was willing to pay a due, would they allow me to bring my three young daughters in for a dip in the refreshing pool this summer!?

I tried to be really nice sounding and emphasize my close proximity and that I have three very young children (not roudy, noisy teens!) and that I'm willing to pay... pretty please?


The pool lady called me back within 5 minutes and said: No.


Fine. I didn't want to go swimming in that dumb ol' pool anyway.

17 comments:

The Everett Family said...

I just have to laugh, because growing up I lived off of "Maple" and I would go running by the "Shadow Hills" pool. Back in the day, that was the cool neighborhood. One summer we got to take swimming lessons from the swim teacher, but we were never allowed to swim for any other reason. I feel your pain.

Amanda said...

Kudos to you for trying! You are VERY brave! I would run at the same time each day so you can conveniently call out to the swim instructor.."Hey Friend!"

Unused pools are SUCH a sad thing.

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

lol! I love that your avatar is swimming...

come swim in my pool... not as big and nice, but it's rarely empty, even when it's cold.

Kismet said...

I LOVE this post!

I too woulda made friends with the swim instructor. You are a friendly girl.

~K!

Molly W. said...

BUMMER!! But kudos for trying!

Nina Diane said...

the nerve of them!!

Youthful One said...

Ridiculous!

And just how long do you plan on swimming with your jeans and heels on?

Amanda P said...

Sorry. We have a backyard pool just like your sisters...and otter pops. Want to come over?

SuperDave said...

Too bad it wasn't a "guy" that got your phone message. Maybe he would have said yes. Just another example of girl trickery. Can't you put on facebook "looking for a friend in shadow hills"? Who knows maybe you actually have a frien in shadow hills!

Tiffany said...

I think Super Dave is smart. After you were able to sell your American Idol tickets on FB, I think you oughtta try.

Thankfully, my lovely neighbor agrees with you that there should not be a luscious pool just sitting around empty:)

Jenny said...

RATS! I was packing up my towel to come over!

bjb said...

Doesn't Shadow Hills have nice sidewalks for your girls to ride their bikes or skate or walk every day until you meet someone. In our neighborhood there are so many people who walk their dogs, or their children or themselves that it would be hard not to make friends with neighbors just by being outdoors.

Julie said...

Bah Humbug! I think you should stroll through that neighborhood everyday until you make a friend. I hate seeing an empty pool!

Amber said...

Haha! This was so YOU, Julie! You crack me up - literally, I am home alone now and was just laughing outloud to myself reading this and when I got to the end with the RED "no" - I could just hear your voice telling this story and it cracked me up!

Anyway, sorry about the pool. Maybe we should meet at Wilson with the kids for old times sake!?

:)

Amber said...

Haha! This was so YOU, Julie! You crack me up - literally, I am home alone now and was just laughing outloud to myself reading this and when I got to the end with the RED "no" - I could just hear your voice telling this story and it cracked me up!

Anyway, sorry about the pool. Maybe we should meet at Wilson with the kids for old times sake!?

:)

elizabeth embracing life said...

That stinks!!!

Youthful One said...

I meant to tell you yesterday that the whole time we were there I was thinking of this post of yours!

You'd have been in THAT pool everyday too, I'm sure!

SUCH a delight to 'pool' with your family. I didn't snag enough pics of your adorable girls. :D