Thursday, July 30, 2009

Heaven

Last Sunday we had Randy Alcorn speak at our church on the topic of Heaven.



Randy Alcorn is a really cool guy, author of over 30 books and a phenomenal Bible scholar specializing on the topic of Heaven.


From his website: He is the founder and director of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.




His book Heaven is a 480 page book describing what the scriptures tell us we can expect about going to Heaven. It's a fantastic book that I highly recommend. I read it a couple years ago and it literally changed my understanding and my expectations about Heaven. There's so much written in God's word about it, and I'm so thankful that Randy has taken the time to put all the Scriptures and his biblical understanding into a book for me.

I lent my copy to someone who will remain nameless, but I also own the smaller, condensed version. And there is an even smaller version of his condensed version that could slip in a purse or Bible if ever someone wanted a quick reference.

On Facebook a couple months ago I wrote 25 things about me in the Notes section. One of the things I wrote about myself was that I love talking about Heaven and get excited just thinking about it. And why shouldn't I? I want to go someplace where the weather is perfect, the food tastes out of this world delicious, nothing hurts (physically or emotionally), the land is gorgeous, and Jesus is sitting next to me making me and my friends laugh. Wonderful.



Here are a few topics that are covered in his book:


  • The Present Heaven and Future Heaven
  • Will Heaven (the new Earth) be an Actual Place?
  • What Will Heaven Be Like?
  • What Will We Look Like in Heaven?
  • What Will We Do for All Eternity?
  • What Will Our Relationship with God Be Like?
  • Won't Heaven Be Boring?
  • Will There Be Animals on the New Earth?
  • Will We Have Our Own Homes in Heaven?
  • What Won't Be in Heaven?
  • Will Time No Longer Exist in Heaven?
  • Will We Know Everything When We Get to Heaven?
  • Will We Remember What Happened on Earth?
  • Can Those in the Present Heaven See What's Happening on Earth?
  • If People in Heaven Are Aware of Bad Things Happening on Earth, How Could It Really Be Heaven?
  • Will We Be Reunited with and Recognize Our Loved Ones in Heaven?
  • Will There Be marriage and Family in Heaven?
  • How Can We Know For Sure That We'll Go to Heaven?

And let me give you a hint that all the answers to these questions will make you happy.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that Heaven is going to be: ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

I'll see you there! Right? :)

2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

3 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

No way!!! He spoke at our church too!!! Wait do we go to the same church or what. Haha.

Jenny said...

I'll be there!

Angie said...

Heaven is a wonderful place...
filled with glory and grace...
I wanna see my Savior's face
'Cuz heaven is a wonderful place!
(I wanna go there!)

I'm not crazy - do you know that song? :)

I have wanted to read that book for so long, but hubs is keeping it hostage in his office! Thanks for the reminder to ask for it AGAIN. :)