Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No training wheels!

It took my 7 year old only a couple of days to learn to ride her bike without training wheels.
Just in time for summer. I'm so proud of her!
And guess who taught her?

Her Mother...ah-yeeah.

Being her teacher for...well...just about everything....I know this girl and the way she thinks. Don't get me wrong, I know you can't just explaaaain how to ride a bike and BOOM have someone get it. But it helps to know the right kinds of words to use for her to really hear and GET what I mean. It also helps to have already practiced patience with her as she's learning something for the very first time.

Okay, so it probably has less to do with the teacher and more to do with the fact that she's SEVEN and it's a SUNNY DAY and she's been in gymnastics for 3 years so already has her BALANCE and she's been in soccer all winter long so already has COORDINATION.

But I'm going to label this under Homeschooling anyway.

So, back to Amy.
She's super thrilled and thinks she's all that.
The first person she called was Grampy. He didn't disappoint her with his excitement and "atta girl's"! She's envisioning long bike rides and new privileges like riding around the block by herself. Don't know why she thinks this would be okay, I don't even let her WALK around the block by herself yet. I can only imagine the privileges she will think she automatically earns when she gets her driver's license. Oh my.

I also labeled this under Holiday because it kind of is. Around here, anyway.

Here's an 11 second video of the holiday-worthy magic happening!

7 comments:

acceptancewithjoy said...

Way to go Amy!

Sarah Penn said...

WooHoo!!! Aunti Sarah is so proud of you! :)

Jenny said...

GO AMY!!!

Grandma B said...

Grandma is proud of you too, but I am not surprised that you can do it. You do many things well!

Molly W. said...

GO AMY!!!

The Everett Family said...

Yeah Amy! I am not at all surprised that she picked it up so fast. She could probably do a gymnastic move while riding her bike. You are lucky to live where it is flat and safe to ride a bike. Great Job Mom and Amy!

Donovan and Julie said...

Oh I REMEMBER the day my dad taught me to ride my two wheel bike and how proud I felt! She WILL remember this moment...how fantastic! Way to go Amy!