Sunday, March 15, 2009

Shamrock Run





It was so
hm....
....what's the word....
Exhilarating
Cold
FUN
Freezing
Rainy
Invigorating
Tiring
Wet
Accomplishing


All those words will work!

I ran the 8k (4.9 miles) Shamrock Run this morning at 9am.

Smack dab in the middle of Downtown Portland with 22,000 other runners!






My friend Donna and I ran it together and had a great time. She's a positive person and runner so when I was thinking thoughts of "Why in the world am I running in the cold and the rain?"
She'd pipe in with "It's not that bad! Look at that pretty flower over there."
Hrmph.

Or if I started to think "We've only gone 3 miles?" Donna would break into song "Oh Mickey you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind, HEY MICKEY!"

Well, okay, that one perked me up and I sang along a bit to that one. Gotta love Mickey!

She was a great partner and we stuck together the entire time. Not once did we walk! Having a running partner helped us both power through the hills and the cold.
This is the first event I've run with a partner other than my dad. My dad is my original coach and trainer. Love you, Dad!
My Time: 50:33
I'm quite proud of myself as this is running a 10 minute and 19 second mile. That's faster than I've been training and I had the elements to contend with and hills I'm not used to. This is encouraging also because I only have 7 weeks left till the Half Marathon (13.2 miles)!!


Portland is proud for being weird and since this was a celebration of St. Patrick's day, there were lots of people dressed in leprechaun attire and green hair and all sorts of random shamrock diggs. The bag pipes were playing and beer was served to the runners during the race (yes during) and after the race. I mean, who doesn't want an iced cold beer after running 5 miles in ice-cold weather? My fingers were blue just holding the frosty drink. A-hem.


I didn't bring my camera and since the race was just this morning, it's a little soon for pictures from the web.

I grabbed my iPhone after the race and had these pictures taken of us.
Of course, do you notice how it is NOT raining in these pictures? Notice I said they were taken AFTER the race.

Yeah.


It rained pretty steadily the entire race and the wind howled and the temperatures were low. But just shortly after we crossed the finish line, the sun broke through and the city warmed up. Another famous Portland behavior.




Thanks for the great run, Donna. We did great!


Missed you, Rachey.

12 comments:

SuperDave said...

Great job you two! Cold rain running is tough! Way to power through.

Jenny said...

I can not EVEN tell you how proud of you I am!

My sister- the marathon runner.

The way you write this makes running sound fun.
Running to me is only fun if I am racing to get the phone before the answering machine does.

You go girls! Now: ON TO THE HALF!

Sarah Penn said...

congratz!!! Sounds like you had fun! :)

Amanda said...

Wow, that's AWESOME :~) You should post about your training schedule. I run on my treadmill but I don't exactly have a plan, if ya know what I mean.

Congrats on that super time!

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

You and that avatar! LOVE IT! hehe

Great job girls, just looking at you makes me shiver. But I'm proud of you. I'm with Jenny - not my bag, but what an accomplishment! I love that you drank the beer anyway... you did earn it!

christa jean said...

I can't believe you were wearing shorts! BRRRR.

Amy Whalen said...

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY for JP!!!!!!
So happy for you and so amazed at your time/mile! You are amazing and fantastic and a great inspiration...I need a 5K to train for and a running partner! It's fun to run if for no other reason than posting it on one's blog, eh! Good on ya sista - can't wait to hear about more. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Girls!!! Way to power through the icky weather lickity split! Wish I were there....kind of. ;)
Rachel

The Real Gal said...

Congrats!!!

Molly W. said...

Check you out! Way to go Julie! (and Donna!)

Anonymous said...

I'da run the whole race with a beer in my hand...cause I'm a power runner and all :0

Congratulations and great job!

Love the pics.


~K!

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are totally like Jenny's. Of course, I am not you sister, but I am terribly proud of you sticking to your plan and accomplishing it. MomB