Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mother of Mine (Even the title affects me)



We watched this movie the other night.

It was very moving. Almost indescribably wonderful, but I will try to describe how it made me feel. I understand why it won so many awards.


It made me somber and reflective for days.



Plot (copied from IMDB):

During World War II, more than 70,000 Finnish children were evacuated to neutral Sweden to avoid the conflict. "Mother of Mine" tackles that painful patch of history in a tale of 9-year-old Eero, a child who increasingly feels abandoned by his biological Finnish mother and yet not attached to his Swedish surrogate mom. When he is returned to Finland, his confusion intensifies.

Unlike the kids of Narnia, these war children did not become Kings and Queens and converse with talking animals of the Kingdom. Instead, they suffered much confusion and betrayal and perplexity during this time.

Could I have let my child go? I really think not. I think I would keep her with me, away from the unknown. Away from the arms of strangers, strange men. Forced labor. Abandonment.


However, I can not judge the mothers who agreed to send their children off to a safe country. Off to the arms of caring people who offered security and temporary guardianship. Three meals. Education.

Because if my country was being bombed and yet I felt the urgent need to stay and try to keep my crops alive or my business profitable, my loving arms will do nothing when explosions hit. My good intentions of safety will not protect her from artillery.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. My heart goes out to all those who did.

I enjoy subtitled movies and am used to hearing usually French, German or Spanish. This film is set in Finland and Sweden and I loved listening to the languages of both countries. I couldn't differentiate between the two at all, though.

The child actor in this film can only be described as brilliant. My favorite actress was the surrogate mother. She did an absolutely fabulous job in her character and I found myself in her at times.


This film spoke to my heart as a mother. This mother harbors guilt and sadness from a fatal accident her biological daughter suffered at 6 years old. Heartbreaking.
However, it's obvious she loved her daughter with such power and passion.
I can relate.

It spoke to my adoptive heart as this mother took in a child that wasn't hers. Found him to be foreign, not meeting her hopes and her original assumptions, regretting the whole agreement.
I can relate.

It spoke to my spiritual heart as this mother overcame her confusion, expectations and selfishness and found peace, kindness and, ultimately, love for this child.
I can relate.

This was more than a movie to me. It gripped me on an emotional level. Even though it left me somber, it allowed me to move from somber to warm and tender. Not toward my children as I have already moved there with them...but to myself.

It brought me to my knees and thanked God the He chose me. ME. to be the mother of
Amy
Yolanta
Katie

"The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me." Psalm 138:8

He must have real confidence in me because I lack it in myself at times. But I trust that because they are all three here, God will help me bring them up so that they will affectionately say
"I love you, Mother of Mine."

7 comments:

The Corrigan Four said...

i can't wait to rent this movie!! thanks for a recommendation (although movies about moms and their kids in turmoil just about make me crazy, but hopefully a GOOD CRAZY!!)

Tiffany said...

Sounds very poignant. And maybe made especially for you:)

I'd love to watch it. But I tend to fall asleep during movies. It is hard to read sustitles when you are already trying not to fall asleep. I think it took me 5 or 6 tries to watch The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (the last sustitled movie I have watched)!

christa jean said...

I remember trying not to bawl in the theatre while watching the children being shipped off in the Narnia movie.
This one may be too much for me to handle, but it sounds deep and I like deep.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

This sounds so wonderfully moving. Thank you for the review and your reflections

SuperDave said...

Well written...

SuperDave said...

Have you seen Sophie's Choice? You get a free box of tissues when you rent it.

Molly W. said...

I have no doubt.