Monday, November 17, 2008

I am so attractive!

Despite my elvish/dumbo-ish ears, I must be totally gorgeous.
Whenever I go to the grocery store or to a restaurant or for a walk, everyone stares at me!

They look my way and do a double take! Yeah, I'm that hot. Men, Women, Children, Young, Old...it doesn't matter, everyone looks my way.

Though, I don't get a lot of stares when my Haitian children are not with me and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm beginning to think that it might have EVERYTHING to do with it.

Fine, I admit it. It's not me and my gorgeousness; it's my kids. Well, actually, I guess it's the combo of me and my white-ness and my girls and their brown-ness.


Interracial adoption is happening more and more these days and I think it's beautiful! But since it is still rare, people are still trying to get used to the idea of seeing it with their very own eyes.


While grocery shopping with Katie the other day, I had more people talk to me about random things than I have every had at any other time while at the store. And not even just about my daughter, but about the beef selection and the long lines and the sale on tortilla chips, and Mother's cookies going out of business, and on and on. Yeah, all in one trip.

Mostly people stop me to address the girls' hair. But they'll stop me to address random things. Maybe they think that since I've adopted, I must be a person of interest and willing to chat for a bit. I dunno. But I like it! I love having this new label that people have put on me that must read something like this: "I'm an adoptive mother. I want to talk to you!"
I never had this stranger-approachability when I had just my Amy girl. It doesn't bother me at all. I like people. I like talking.

I am so extremely thankful that I have not had any rude comments or ugly slurs thrown my way. Or at least I haven't heard them! Thank you, God, for your protection.

My biggest worry early on was that we would not be accepted in the eyes of the sr. citizens. They are a generation of intolerance and may still hold some of those beliefs even today.

But being at Black Bear Diner after church, the place was packed with Grandma's and Grandpa's and I only got smiles and winks and conversations about how cute the girls are. Shame on me for worrying!


There are a few people I know who have an interracial family who have had distasteful comments or racist remarks shot at them. I'm sorry for those families but more sorry for those who can not see the beauty in all people no matter the color of skin. They are the ones who will be suffering the most.

Some people might still see the beauty of a person no matter what color skin they have but still hold the opinion that an interracial adoption is not wise. I have read tons o'material on the challenges parents will have to work through raising kids of a different race. And the challenges the children will be up against are, according to the sources I've read, even harder.
Adoption is hard.
Culture differences add to the difficulty.
Race throws an extra degree of hardness.

We're prepared to guard ourselves with Truth that God has a plan for our family that is good and prosperous and He will never leave us. What more could I ask for during a time where I'm doing something so demanding as raising adopted children from a different race!? Whew!

So yes, I am attractive. I attract a lot of attention because of my beautiful family.
Gawk away!

9 comments:

Jenny Kay said...

Pretty!

Kismet said...

You are beautiful....all 4 of you!


Great post.

~K!


www.kismet.blogs.com

Amanda P said...

I LOVE the hair....all of it! Good job, mama!

Ugly said...

Note the obvious lack of apparently hideously unattractive husband in the pictures. Why does everyone think the Penns are such an attactive family? Because David is taking the pictures. Nice.

SuperDave said...

Great observations! You had me at gawk away.

Anonymous said...

We live in a new world-much different than that of the "sr citizens"...Isn't America beautiful!!!

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

So beautifully written! And I thank you! Last summer I found myself as one of those gawkers... "oops, did I just stare at that woman and her beautiful dark daughter for too long?" I worried that I wouldn't say the right thing to this woman, but really I just had an instant affection for her and her daughter. I am so glad that you are happy to share.

and yes, you are hawt

Tiffany said...

Blessed Mom, was that ME? Heehee. We get lots of stares too, even before we had Mimmers. SOOOOO many boooys! And THAT's when we only had four boys. Now, we are truly a spectacle with FIIIVE boys of caucasian skin color and one little brown girl...not to mention how young I am for so many kids.

I know what you are saying girl.

Molly W. said...

You all are pretty darn cute if you ask me! (um, on another note...mothers cookies are going out of buisness?!! what?!!)