Friday, July 11, 2008

Thoughts about Blogging, Adoption, Birthday.

A blogging friend of mine recently went private feeling slightly uncomfortable that pictures of her way cute kids were being viewed by strangers all over the world.

It does kind of give one the heebie-jeebies knowing that there are weirdos out there peeping in on homelife. Even if the pictures are cute ones of toddlers running in the field or throwing banana's at your sister.

I have the same reservations, but have decided not to restrict my blog (just yet) as the adoption blogging community is so helpful and my site meter indicates I have way more viewers than I could possibly know who to invite. I suspect the majority of my readers are fellow adoptive families. Hi all!

But, with the privacy situation in mind, please know that my posts about the transition period will not be riddled with specific details of struggles or the hardest of hardships that we've been facing. And yes, we've had some pretty tough stuff in the 8 days that we've been home.
If you'd like to send me an email, we can chat privately. I may be calling on some of YOU to ask for suggestions and tips on how to handle certain situations.

However, I would love to share some funny and even some not so funny things that have been happening around here because I so love having my friends (and even some of you I don't know) in on the wonders of my new life. That's what blogging is for, right!?

Imagine yourself as a fly on my wall:

  • English phrases being repeated even when they don't make sense. Such as putting on a pair of sunglasses and saying "nice kitty". Or saying "Thank you!" after someone sneezes.
  • Writing on the wall is not okay.
  • Well, if you reeeeaallly want to sleep with this cuddly Jenga game, I'll let you.
  • Squatting next to the toilet because you sister is taking too long...not okay.
  • Climbing in bed with us in the morning is one of the best parts of the day. We all love it.
  • The cat is nice and smooth for all the hair moisturizer he now has.
  • Turning the music up till the speakers crackle...annoying. (But she knows this. I call her bluff and she often turns it down before I do)
  • Not knowing how to pump your legs on a swing set...saddening. But I love love love being the one to teach you, my sweet hearts. And the joy on your faces is priceless.
  • Biting anything fleshy is very muchly not okay.
  • Singing "This is the Day" in Creole is something I could listen to for hours. (I'll record it for all to listen to)

I have several other blog posts I've been dying to write. But this is what I could whip out for today. Don't give up on me. I've got lots of fun things to tell you about! Here are some of the topics:

#1 Today (July 11th) is Katie's birthday! She turns 4 years old (even though if you ask her how old she is she holds up two fingers and says "trois" (three).

#2 I have more pictures of our days here at home in thier cute American clothes (that you guys bought and gave to me at my shower!) but have not had time to get them up. Oh, that's another topic, I guess. They change their clothes eleventeen times a day!

#3 Amy is adjusting very well as the new big sister (despite the fact that Yolanta is a couple inches taller!) But she has her days where she joins in on the puddle of tears (see #6 below).

#4 Hair. Oh my, hair. HAIR!

#5 Being blessed with meals, phone calls, emails, Costco runs, coffee...you guys are amazing. Especially the coffee drop off.

#6 My emotions going off the charts screwy. But have no fear, my husband's emotions are equally whacky so together we're a mess. If you're still a fly on the wall, you may find us in a puddle of tears, punch drunk laughing at nothing, or asleep at 8:55pm (unheard of 8 days ago). Yeah, we are not really sure what day it is or if the sun sets in the West anymore.

But we're madly in love with each other and with each and every girl called daughter. That's three of them.

How do I have three daughters!? I love it.
Happy Birthday, Katie!

9 comments:

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

Thank you for sharing. My heart is focused on you all the time. What a joy and delight, happy times and struggles both! We would not grow so much if the experiences were easy.

Sleep well when you can.

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

oh and happy birthday Katie, beautiful one!

acceptancewithjoy said...

The kids have been home for almost 6 weeks and we are still having toilet and modesty issues. We made the bathroom off limits except to one child and an adult helper.

Haven't drawn on walls... have flooded the downstairs bathroom by leaving the bathroom sink running.

David hits (bay kou), kicks (bay kou pye) and bites (mode) too. So, I have memorized pa bay kou, pa bay kou pye and pa mode. I say those three phrases about 100 times a day, along with pa kouri (don't run) and koute (listen)... that sometimes seems like all I say to him.

My kids wouldn't go near our cats for over 3 weeks. Then Beverly pet one and now ignores them. David still steers clear. I guess our cats should consider themselves lucky.

Youthful One said...

Every post makes me weep. My emotions are rolling with yours, although I'm certain not as extreme.

Oh how wonderful the trials you are going through. I am thrilled for you and praying for you all. (And doing my best not to be jealous.)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEAUTIFUL KATIE!

Can't wait to celebrate you with you and your whole family.

The Haiti Lady said...

I rememeber those same moments well. Enjoy being a new family and seeing all the FIRSTS that you still get with older kids...aren't they great??!!
LeAnne

The Haiti Lady said...

Oh, I forgot...HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY KATIE! And Happy 1st Birthday in your Forever Home!
LeAnne The Haiti Lady

The G's said...

I stumbled on your blog and really can relate. My husband and I just adopted two girls from foster care. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. The retraining of basic things are overwhelming to everyone involved in the process. And the wacky emotions...I didn't eat a full meal for a month. I was crying one minute and laughing the next. Even though my girls didn't come from another country, they might as well had. The came from a very poor part of the US and had never had their hair cut at a salon or ridden an escalator. Please feel free to send me an email if you ever need to vent or talk. I know where you are coming from. It is an amazing journey, isn't it? debnmarcus@comcast.net Blessings to you all!

mamalibby said...

Thank you for continuing to share your adoption journey inline, even with those of us you don't know. My DH and I have discussed adopting to complete our family of three little boys and all of the posts (even and maybe especially the tough ones) help to give us a true picture of what to expect.

Blessings to all five of you.

christa jean said...

We wish that cute 4 year old a happy birthday!!! Especially from our cute 4 year old!
I know in my heart someday soon they will be chums.