Sunday, June 8, 2008

Manipulation

The root of manipulation is selfishness.
A couple Biblical examples of manipulation can be found in Judges 14-16 and Matthew 4.

Am I a manipulator? Are you a manipulator?



Seven Types of Manipulation

1. The Comedian
Do what I want or I'll laugh at your expense

2. The Intimidator
Do what I want or I'll hurt you


3. The Includer
Do what I want and I'll include you into my circle
4. The Lamenter
Do what I want or I'll crumble

5. The Zipper
Do what I want or I won't talk to you
6. The Noisemaker
Do what I want or I'll get loud
7. The Pace Setter
Do what I want or I'll subvert your plans





Manipulation is not the Jesus way.



Philippians 2:3-4

3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

What should I do with Manipulation?


  • Examine Motives

  • Discover Dependence

  • Confess Control

  • Break free!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Great definitions. Those can make a person realize they are a manipulator even w/o realizing it!

DotBlogger said...

Tiffany, yes, you are right. As well as help to identify if you are in manipulative relationship.

Kismet said...

Hmmm, I think I might be #3. Come over to my house for coffee and we'll talk about it! :)


Which are you?


~K!


www.kismet.blogs.com

Alicia said...

enjoyed this short but profound post of yours. it's always great to break things down and get the heart of them.

Julie said...

Great! I loved this. I was able to identify some problem areas I am having.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your family (all of them) are beautiful. I bet you can't wait for those two new babies. How sweet!!

christa jean said...

We learn how to manipulate at such a young age...

At the mall a couple weeks ago, I witnessed just such an exchange between 2 young sisters. The older sister said to the younger, "If you play with me... I'll let you play in my room and have some of my candy... aaaand, I'll share my toys with you... Pleeease?" It was comical and yet a good picture of how practiced we become at negotiating or manipulating to get our way even at the ages of 4 and 6.

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

Not the Jesus way...depend on God, you don't need to manipulate. I don't think I would have found that connection on my own, but its profoundly true... Utter dependence on God and trusting in his sovereignty can keep us from selfishly putting our own needs before others.

wow... deep...

(confession - this will be a surprise (NOT!)) I think I'm a noise maker.

Feathering My Nest said...

This is a very good post. Wow, I don't want to be a manipulator. I like the way you've examined the word and brought out the motives. I like the answer you've added for running away from this problem. Depend on Jesus, trust Him, don't be selfish. Put others first. Very good. Bless you today. Kathi ps I think this is my first visit to you. I found you through Tiffany