Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Jenny


My twin sister and I have a super duper close friendship. We were womb-mates. And even though she's lived three hours away from me for the past six years, we have maintained a tight friendship. Sisterhood. I don't know where I would be without my sister.

And the funny thing is, we are extremely different. Night and Day as the saying goes.
  • I crave salt she craves sweets.
  • I like schedule she likes spontaneity.
  • I like shopping she likes swimming.
  • I like new TV she likes old TV.
  • I like coffee she likes tea.
  • I love Haiti she loves Nicaragua.
  • I take after our mom. She takes after our dad.
Maybe that's why we love each other so much is that we bring opposites and variety into our twin lives.

Of course, we share similarities, too.
  • We both love God
  • We both love our husbands
  • We both love our children
  • We both love our little sister
  • We both love Disneyland
  • We both love cracking up till we pee
  • We both love downhill skiing (but we kind of suck at it)
  • We both love time alone together (this is usually when the laughing and peeing begins)









We shared a room most of our growing up. And even though we had bunk beds, we usually found ourselves in the same bed every morning.
Then we grew up a little more and got our own rooms and were blessed with water beds (yes, it was in the '80's) and yet we still drifted off to sleep on the 'waves' of our silky sheets...together.

Is it just me, or does anyone else agree that boys wreck everything!?

Enter: boyfriends.
We stay close, but there is now a guy on her arm and a guy on mine.
But we stay close.
More boys. Darn boys.
I choose early. Get married.
She chooses 3 years after me.
And of course, it's all about our boys.
Love those boys.

Now we're both wives. We're barely past teenager years but here we are wife-ing it up.
We love it.
We meet at the mall.
We still hang out.
We're DINKS
They're DINK
(Double Income No Kids)
We meet for dinner over at mom and dads.

We talk on the phone all. the. time.
We leave apartments and rentals and move in to houses. We remain close both in proximity and relationship. Friendship.

Enter: Children. Wow how we love our children. Sweet that the cousins are close. Almost like sisters.

Driving around town? Now we have cell phones!

She moves away. Just three hours. But no more mall. No more dinners at mom and dads. No more taking the kids to the park on sunny afternoons. No more hammock and mini pool (the best summer of our lives).



Email. Instant Messenger. Phones.
Here I am in a gigantic house, with 72 toilets to clean, miles of carpet to vacuum, light years away from my sister.

Webcam.
We remain close.
We remain close.

Change happens in our lives. Even in our personal walks with our husbands, children, God, friends, self... and that's okay with us. We can weather the change. We have a bond. We have a sisterhood. We have a twin-ness.

Someone pointed out to me that they recently heard a comment that went something like this:

"When someone is going through change, even if it is good change, they will often lose their friends."

Jenny is my twin sister, and she is my friend.
I've experienced a lot of change in my life and concur that the above thought can indeed happen. Sadly. Sometimes. Not always will one lose their friends during change, but that can happen. There are a million and one changes in life (location, politics, religion, spouses, children, work, money, people, sin, callings, age) that can cause friendships to be lost.

My sisters life has changed, my life has changed. But we remain close. We are each other. We are sisters. We are twins.

She is, Absolutely Fabulous.

Ooh, and she just started a blog. Not the same kind of blog that I have. Hers is about her adventures in being a Doula. What's a Doula? Yeah, I asked the same question.

A childbirth assistant. There's a prettier Greek definition, I'm sure. Kind of like a midwife. Go check her out! Radiant Motherhood. She only has two entries as of right now so it won't take you long.



Love you, Jen.

10 comments:

Kismet said...

Beautiful tribute to your twin.

~K!

www.kismet.blogs.com

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

I think God gives us something really special with sisters... we may find the distance growing between us, yet somehow, as we grow a bit older, the value of that sisterhood is growing greater and stronger. I imagine it is even greater with "womb-mates" (I always loved that term).

JP, you are my special friend.

I think JN is a special friend too... not short bus special ;-)

You are both so blessed to have each other.

Tiffany said...

Beautiful. beautiful.

I love this post for many reasons.

I love you. I love Jenny. I love how you expressed your love for Jenny.

I want to be a Doula someday. But I am going to say I am a Childbirth Cheerleader:)And I am definitely, DEFINITELY, going to read her radiant blog.

Kelli said...

this put a smile on my face. I love hearing about peoples close freinds, their sisters, their experiences, staying close.

Wow yah i think the miles doesnt seperate me and my best friend. :)

blessings

Kel

christa jean said...

This post will make everyone wish they too had a twin.
You both are radiant in your uniqueness in beautiful ways.

But, if that saying is true, then I will be mad at change for a while.

christa jean said...

um, what are those little things that you're both holding?

DotBlogger said...

We are holding tiny Christmas cookies!

Julie said...

I loved this post. I want to go out right now and find myself a twin sister!! LOL

Kareer Woman said...

What an awesome tribute! Fantastic post :)

Kareer Woman said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment, I hope you'll continue to return :)