Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Game Night

I love to play games. Card games, board games, made up games, car games, all sorts. I grew up playing games on family night. My parents still play games and we often will break out a Scrabble board or Trivial Pursuit game when we go to visit (which is quite often!).

Funny team games are my favorite. You know, the kind where you find yourself laughing at each other while acting or singing or humming something. Charades, Pictionary, Scategories, Cranium, you know the kind. But I enjoy playing just about every kind of game. Except Chess. Or Risk. Or those other super long super brainy games. ~shudder~


My sister and I have a running game of Rummy that we try to play every time we're together. We don't care who wins each hand because it's an eternal game that we'll still play in Heaven. It's our thing.



My daughter and I play games almost every day. Go Fish, Checkers, random word games, Old Maid, and our newest favorite game: Sleeping Queens. It's a multiple award winning game that is super duper fun. 2-5 players. LOVE IT.



My husband is a game junkie, too. He's frequently bringing home games for the family to play and for friends to join in. He does not, I repeat: does NOT like to play games where he is made to look foolish. He refuses to play charades because he says he has no idea how to act out the title of a movie such as "The Sound of Music" without looking like an idiot. Nor does he know how to draw much better than stick figures so Pictionary is out of the question.

He can play chess. He's a published author on a book about chess. I can spell chess and that's about it. He really likes those super duper brainy kind of games.

So it's challenging to find games that are two player and that we both enjoy and that neither of us has a huge handicap. But we find them. One of our favorites is called Ticket to Ride. Its also an award winning game.

We've had this game for a couple of years now and it's really fun. We've played it with friends and we play it just the two of us.

The other night we played round after round for three hours after Amy went to bed! There's a little strategy, a little luck and a lot of fun. I recommend it.

And of course, spending time together and interacting while doing something other than watching movies is always a relationship booster. Gets you talking and laughing and being sociable with each other. Totally AbFab way to spend an evening together.

8 comments:

Youthful One said...

ME TOO!!!!!!!

My absolute favorite thing to do is play games! I'd take that any day over shopping, movies, even over other things I like to do. What a great way to build relationships and get to know people.

We have a dedicated game closet that is bursting at the seams. And yet new games always entice us...

As a couple, our long-standing compromise between tastes is cribbage. If we can't agree on any other game, we always come back to cribbage. It's also easy to play in bed just before sleep.

Our other favorites include Robo-Rally, Boggle, Pirate and Traveler, Babble-On (the precursor to Mad Gab, only better), Sequence, Nerts, Apples to Apples, and Tripoly (just to name a few). Incidentally, I loved Pictionary as a teen and begged for the Bible version. Nobody yet has played it with me (going on 20 years now).

SO... When's game night?!

Youthful One said...

Oh - I forgot to say, about chess:

I still don't know how to play. And I generally like brainy games. My boys promise to teach me some day. They really enjoy it.

Alicia said...

thanks for recommending some new good games. it love new game ideas. there are so many out there but they are not all great and you can easily get that mountain of games you never play. so, thanks for recommending!

Kismet said...

Great post.

We struggled to find 2 person games for a long time too. One of the ones we came up with? The daily crossword puzzle! We love doing that together and really get a feel for what kind of trivia the other person knows.

Our game cupboard is full to over flowing also. I am sure some antique hunter would love finding some of the original games we have shoved in the back of it!


Play on.


~K!

mer said...

One of my favorite games is Blokus...have you played that before?

My current favorite "kid" game is A-Z Jr. from Discovery Toys. It's a big hit at our house!

And my current favorite family game is Yahtzee. We play at least twice a week!

I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned. We're a big game-playin' fam!

Kelli said...

I LOVE GAMES TOO!

haha i agree in thinking that playing games is a good relationship builder.
I am bad at chess etc... just like you!

thanks for the recommendations for some new games.

oh Apples to Apples is pretty amazing too!!

Be blessed
Kel

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

I love the image of you and J playing rummy in heaven, how sweet!?! I love that you think of heaven and what it'll be like, and it inspires me and reminds me to meditate on heavenly things. (no, I STILL haven't finished the book, but this also reminds me to read and stop surfing facebook)

I am officially challenging you to a game of scrabble... my fav.

I love playing with the kids. I'm embarrassed to say we had to check the rules of checkers recently. I don't think we should ever get away from playing simple games. Could save us from future embarrassment ;-)

We also like a dice game called 10,000.... it requires 6 dice per player, and a little like yatzee, but totally not, all about chance and then being risky.

Julie said...

I love playing games too! My dh loves brainy games also... I love to watch him act like I am letting him win those.. HAHA!