Sunday, June 1, 2008

Amy and Van Morrison - I've done you wrong

What brown eye'd girl doesn't like the song Brown Eye'd Girl by Van?

Hey where did we go, day's when the rains came
Down in the hollow playin' a new game
Laughin' and a runnin', hey hey
Skippin' and a jumpin'

So that became my favorite song once I realized that it was cute to be a brown eye'd girl. I think I was in the 9th grade. When I was a senior in high school, I got a job at Round Table Pizza where I met David Penn. Yeah, THE David Penn! There was a juke box that we'd throw quarters in after hours and crank up the volume. David would put in a dollar and though we didn't "make love in the green grass behind the stadium" we did make-out in the office while my song was playing.



Standin' in the sunlight laughin'
Hiding behind a rainbow's wall
Slippin' and a slidin'
all along the waterfall with you, my brown eye'd girl


My daughter keeps trying to tell me that I have green eyes. Horror stories of a hurricane or kidnapping come in to mind and we're seperated and she'll have to describe her mother...and the authorities will over look me because they see that I have brown eyes, not green!
"Sorry, ma'am. You couldn't possibly be her mother."

So I've been working on her.
"Amy," I tell her, "My eyes are BROWN. I even own a song dedicated to me about MY eyes."



So hard to find my way, now that I'm on my own
I saw you just the other day, my how you have grown
Cast my memory back there, Lord
Sometimes I'm overcome thinkin' about it


The other day I was looking through a few pics and I came across this AbFab one of me and Amy taken at Easter last year. Especially next to her, my actual brown eye'd girl, my eyes really DO look green. (I think if you click on the picture it will make it bigger for you to see. You'll get a great view of the color of my eyes and all my pores.)
Well anyway, I can't figure out where I got these eyes. I mean, I've always had brown eyes, right mom? Do they look green to you guys? I'm confused. Maybe they turned color during pregnancy and I've just never noticed.



Sing with me now...!

Do you remember when, we used to sing
sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-te-da
just like that
sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-te-da
a-la-te-da

6 comments:

Youthful One said...

I can't make the picture bigger, and from here they look brown to me - only slightly lighter than Amy's.

I LOVE hearing of your youthful romance with your man.

And no matter what happens, I'm quite confident nobody will ever question if you are truly Amy's mom. If they did, I'm certain that her description of you will be priceless and sure.

Tiffany said...

My sister Victoria always had dark brown eyes like her dad. As she has gotten older they have lightened too. They are hazel now. I tell her it is from playing too much volleyball in the southern California sun and she better move home before they turn light green!

christa jean said...

They do look rather greenish-brown (the color hazel has blah connotations), but what is most noticable are your oh-so-long eyelashes.
I'm Green with Envy!

Anonymous said...

Hazel eyes ROCK, Julie!!! Love, Rachel & Olivia (two other girls with hazel/brown eyes:)

Alicia said...

I love that song! I have always liked it (I'm brown eyed too, and none of my kids are!)
I thought it was so sweet, I use to babysit for this family when I was in college and the daddy would hold his toddler baby girl (brown eyes) each night infront of the stereo and play that song while he swayed her to sleep. Of course, he did not blast the volume, but still...:)

christa jean said...

Uh oh! I didn't mean to offend anyone with lovely hazel eyes!;-D Maybe I should have explained better that everyone I've known to have hazel eyes, will not call them hazel... they usually prefer "olive green" or some such variation.