Monday, May 26, 2008

Hope and a Future



What do you want to be when you grow up?
My daughter wants to be (in her words) a Hair Styler.

She's been saying this for a while now. She had an AbFab beautiful babysitter when she was littler named Rachel who grew up to be a hair dresser. Amy loved Rachel and Rachel would curl Amy's hair, put make up on her and get her all dressed up. I think it was her who inspired this love of hair.



Last summer Grampy came over and allowed her to give him a haircut so she could practice her skills.

She's quite the girly girl.





When I stop and think about my dreams and aspirations for her, I hadn't considered her to be in Beauty School. Seeing as how she was figuring out equivalent fractions and reading choose-your-own-adventure books last week, I see her figuring quantum physics when she's older. But of course, I know that being an accelerated learner as a child does not necessarily mean she's going to want to do something wicked hard as an adult. Maybe hair and fashion is where she'll thrive.
And besides, MY dreams for her will not be the determining factor. It's HER dreams that will take her on her course of life.
I will foster her into a life of happiness, following Jesus and providing what she needs to be a successful adult...until she starts doing all these things on her own. Then her choices will determine her happiness, her walk with God, and her career life.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

She is only 6 right now. She may change her mind between now and college once or twice, I assume.



I pray for her future and ask God to bless the path she'll take. Will she be a missionary? Will she be a stay at home mom? Will she be a writer? Will she be a CEO? Will she be a farmer's wife? Will she be an athlete? Will she be a hair styler?







Whatever it is, and the sky's the limit, baby, I'll support you all the way.
"The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9

6 comments:

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

Amy is so awesome and AbFab...

being a "hair styler" could be an incredibly important role... helping women (who often are plagued with low self esteem) feel beautiful, and are often blessed with a gift for gab, which allows people's hearts to be open. What a great ministry potential....

I'm sure God has awesome things in store for that beautiful daughter of your.

Hair Farmer Joe said...

I really love your blog and great attitude. The attitude that I have adopted for my 4 year old daughter Jacqueline Kennedy (www.JackieKennedy.biz) is to expose her to as much of the great things the world has to offer and let her choose what she wants to pursue. So far it's horses and computers.

Alicia said...

Fun post. It's so true... whatever God wants them to do to bring him glory will be their greatest joy and yours!
My ten year old is the academic (was reading Lewis in kindergarten, independantly!) but it did slow down this year in fourth grade with concepts got a little bigger. She now actually has subjects or concepts she gets frustrated over. Everything came so easy before. I use to think she would be ahead the rest of her schooling, and your daughter may, but I've learned to relax as things ebb and flow through thier lives.

tricia said...

What a wonderful God we serve! He has given each of us special gifts that we are to use to glorify Him. I enjoy watching my kids and seeing all the special gifts and challenges that God has given them. I love that I can rest in the fact that God has a plan for them that will bring them joy and God glory.

Great pictures of the hair cut. You are doing great. Keep praying for her and her future.

christa jean said...

I need a hairstylist to do my hair for the wedding... what do ya say, Ames?

Tiffany said...

I know Evan has been on the receiving end of Hair Styler Amy too:)She is obviously advanced. I mean, what 6 year old would already be sampling careers? Maybe she will get it out of her system and won't have to change majors several times in college!