Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Homeschooling Tip #3

Don't forget to have your children memorize scripture as part of the day's lesson or everyday living.

A huge focus on Amy's schooling is her understanding of who God is, not just book smarts or socialization. Although, it all goes together! After all, the Bible is a book. Being able to explain your faith to anyone is being able to socialize with anyone.



We have math lessons. We have spelling lessons. We have history lessons. We have Bible lessons. And we have lessons on being kind, sharing, serving Mom and Dad, serving friends, serving God.



Learning about who God is, means reading The Word and trying to live our lives according to what it says.



When my girls are older, my prayer for them is that 'whatever their hands find to do, they will do it with all their might' (Ecclesiastes 9:10). And I hope they remember that doing things with all their might means leaning on God for His support and His love. Knowing the scriptures early on will set a foundation for remembering them when they are older and will really need to rely on them.


Here are 12 verses that Amy is in the process of memorizing.
  • Ephesians 6:1
    Children, obey your parents in the Lord.

    Psalm 100:2
    Serve the Lord with gladness.

    Romans 3:23
    All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

    Nehemiah 8:10
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

    James 1:2
    Consider it pure joy when you encounter various trials.

    1st John 4:8
    God is love.

    Proverbs 17:17
    A friend loves at all times.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life.

    Proverbs 3:3
    Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.

    Ecclesiastes 9:10
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.

    Psalm 37:4
    Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will grant you the desires of your heart.

    Romans 8:28
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I wish I had her AbFab memory. I'm memorizing them right along with her!

7 comments:

Youthful One said...

The number one consuming thought I have as I attempt to school my kids at home is:

Above all else knowing Jesus, loving Jesus, and serving Jesus with joy is the most important thing to learn.

While there are many ways one may go about teaching this to one's children, the current way I am exploring is: The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach: Bible Based Homeschooling

Tiffany said...

YES! I had to memorize a ton of scripture growing up. When I walked through hard times in my life, they truly did get me through. I knew it was important to "write them on our hearts", but after I used them to get through a couple really serious situations, it convinced me even more of how important it is for myself and for my children.

Scripture songs make it easy and fun. Also Charlotte Mason has a great method for scripture memory.

christa jean said...

The foundation that is being laid by the Word of God in her life will stand firm and not crumble!

Those are some fab verses that I will be stealing for ourselves! ;-D

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

This is something I've always struggled with... maybe b/c it was instilled in me as a young person. I want it for my kids. We were doing some last summer - had the whole Lord's prayer down, but then came baby and we never got back to it. I am (like CJC) stealing your list. How did you go about creating that list?

Thanks for being an inspiration (again)!

Brenna said...

Wonderful post, Jules! I am going to swipe this list too! Love, Brenna

Kathy said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog. We don't home school but my children have learned much scripture in the past anyway. I have a book about the Bible for girls. You can see it at http://just4christiangirls.blogspot.com/

I read your adoption time line. Boy it moves slowly doesn't it? I had my first child home six months after our paperwork was submitted. All these steps didn't exist. Right now I've been in ibesr just about 9 mo and my dossier had been in Haiti a couple days short of a year!!

Christina said...

Hi! I came over from A Future and A Hope (Tricia). Thank you for your encouragement! I have 3 kids that I homeschool and as they have gotten older, I have struggled to keep this on the forfront. Math and Science, grammar and writing seem to take up so much time. But you are absolutely right! It's not enough to teach "Bible", it must be hidden in their hearts! Thanks again!