Friday, April 25, 2008

Listening

There was a little town that had heavy rains scheduled in the forecast.

The rains did come, and started to flood the town. People started evacuating.


The water level reached the first floor of a man's house. A rowboat came and someone yelled "Hey, get in! The town is going to flood and you'll be washed away!"

The owner of the house confidently yelled back "Oh, I'm not evacuating. I'm trusting in God. He'll save me!"



The rains continued and the man was forced to the second story of his house. A rescue boat came by and someone yelled "Hey, get in! The town is going to flood and you'll be washed away!"

The owner of the house confidently yelled back "Oh, I'm not evacuating. I'm trusting in God. He'll save me!"



The rains continued and the man was forced to the roof of his house. A helicopter came overhead and someone yelled "Hey, grab on! The town is flooding and you'll be washed away!"

The owner of the house confidently yelled back "Oh, I'm not leaving. I'm trusting in God. He'll save me!"



The rains continued. The man was washed away and he drowned.

Standing before God in heaven, the man said "God, I trusted in you. Why didn't you save me?"



God looked at him lovingly and said "I sent you a row boat, a rescue boat and a helicopter. Three times I offered you my help, you just didn't recognize my voice."



I'm trying to hear from God and recognize His voice. I believe that God talks to us everyday, but we might not always hear it. I want to strengthen my relationship with Him and hear His voice daily. He might be talking to me and asking me to do something big, for my safety, or for a friend, or for a blessing He has for my family. Or maybe He has awesome encouragement or council! I don't want to miss it.



There is a book I'm interested in getting called Walking with God that looks absolutely fabulous and speaks to this topic. Has anyone read it?





How do you, friends, know when God is talking to you?

Hearing from God, confirming His voice, and being obedient to Him is what I strive for.

2 comments:

The Everett Family said...

Thank you for the story! I liked it so much I used it today in a Bible study!

Youthful One said...

I haven't read that book. However, I am fond of a book/teaching that was originally entitled, "Dialogue with God" by Mark Virkler. The latest version is entitled, "How to Hear God's Voice," and is in workbook form. I have an extra copy of it as well as 2 copies of the original (hubby had one too), so let me know if you'd like to borrow one. Really great for learning how to have an actual dialogue with God and discern whose voice you are hearing; how to tune into God's voice.
Hmm - I think I need to revisit one of those books...